Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My cool-to-tell parking lot story


I found a  recipe for Banana Pudding Cake on Pinterest and decided I wanted to make it.  This is weird for me.  If you know me you're already thinking "this is a weird story."  I'm not a kitchen person, but I was inspired to try it.

As I pulled into Shop n Save the song "Alabaster Box" began to play on my Kirk Franklin XM station.  I love this song.  Most of the time when I hear it I just weep because of the message.  I felt something nudge me to pull into one of the parking spots near the back and just enjoy the song.  I thought as I did it "oh man!  God's about to show up in this car and I'm gonna have one of 'those moments.'"  Thinking I was about to have one of those cool-to-tell parking lot stories I put the car in park and closed my eyes.  I listened.  Eyes got teary.  No sobbing or overwhelming presence of God.

The song ended and I just thanked God for His grace & mercy.  Like the song says "you don't know the cost of the oil in my alabaster box."  I felt a fresh thankfulness and boldness to praise Him.  But still nothing super spectacular.  Nothing like I expected.  So I put it in drive, found a spot near the door, parked and went in to get the ingredients I needed.

Got the wafers, pudding, and cake mix that I needed and headed down to the milk area where I figured there would be the Cool Whip I needed.  I helped a little girl return an item to the top shelf.  Then I saw him.  I recognized him.  But I couldn't think how. 

Where is the Cool Whip?  Shouldn't it be with dairy? 
Turned around and nearly bumped into him.  I smiled.  Then I remembered.  He stopped by the church one morning.  Is his name Tom? 

Cool Whip isn't with cream cheese either.  Where is it?! 
He used to attend APC in the 80's and early 90's.  He's got cancer.  That's right...I remember him now.

Oh yeah, I need a FROZEN tub of Cool Whip...it's with the ice cream.  Found it!  Time to check out.

Of course, if you have the choice definitely use the self-checkout.  You can live the childhood dream of running barcodes over the scanner without having to stay for an 8-hour shift. 

All paid...ready to go.  Headed for the door.  There he is in lane 4.  His milk.  His Prairie Farms vanilla ice cream.  His case of Guinness.  And his cancer.

"Amber, you're having a Miracle Sunday this weekend.  Slow down.  Invite him." 
"But I need to get home.  I've got Cool Whip in the bag.  Kristy is waiting."

I continue with steady steps to my car.  Got through the electronic sliding doors before the voice spoke again.  "He needs Miracle Sunday."  Then the other voice "He probably won't remember you.  Think how awkward that will be." 

Take left towards the car.

Unlock.  Ingredients in the backseat.  Start the car.  I reason that "if he walks out before I pull out, I'll wait.  But only if he's parked kinda near me."

When he cleared the electronic sliding doors and headed left my comfort zone started to get nervous.  When he opened the back hatch of the car next to mine I had no excuse.

Is that a Miracle Sunday invite card in my back seat?!  Sure is.  I grabbed it and got out of the car.

"Hello!"
"Hi" as he continues to unlock his car.
"I think I remember you.  You stopped by our church not long ago and spoke with my dad.  We prayed for your cancer situation."
"Bro. Willeford's church."
"Yeah, that's the one.  How are you doing?"
"Not good.  The cancer has progressed.  It won't be long now."
"I'm sorry to hear that."
"I still remember Steve's sermon 'It Started With a Look' about Abraham and Lot.  I think about it a lot.  Just a glance at sin will take you farther than you intend."
"That's true.  But I think the opposite is also true.  Just one look towards God can start something good in your life."
"Oh yeah, that's definitely true."
"Yes, sir."
"Oh, it's Gary, you don't have to call me sir."
Gary.  That's right. Not Tom.
"Well, Gary, we're having a Miracle service this Sunday. [hands him an invite card] I believe God can heal you.  It's services that are focused on faith and God doing the impossible."
"I believe God heals, too."
"You should come.  We'd love to have you.  I know my dad would be so excited to see you again."
"I take so much morphine for pain I can hardly get out much.  But I'll see if my son can come with me."
"I hope you can.  It was good to see you."
"You, too.  See ya."

Got in the car.  Eyes got teary.  "Thank you, Lord, for that opportunity."  Reverse.  Pull out of parking spot.  Drive.  Exiting parking lot.  "Thank you for stopping me to listen to that song.  Thank you for my front row spot...that had an empty spot next to it at the time.  Thank you for delaying me with 'Alabaster Box' so I could cross Gary's path."

I thought the cool-to-tell parking lot story was gonna be a lot different.  The God-moment wasn't for me to receive, but to give.  I thought I'd have a serious prayer meeting moment where God's presence is so thick you could cut it with a knife.  But it didn't happen that way.

The moment wasn't for me.  It was for Gary.  Instead of a chance to feel Jesus, I got a chance to touch like Jesus did.  Rather than hear Him, I got to speak for Him.

At Shop n' Save no less.  I thought I was there for Banana Pudding Cake ingredients.  But I was there for Gary.  As if God was saying "You shop n' I'll save."

I'm glad to tell you the cake turned out great.  It's delicious.  I'll also be glad to tell you when Gary shows up and God heals his body AND his soul.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ambs, love your sensitivity and your love for others. You now have this grown 61 year old man in tears.
    This is much the same as my story with Pete.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete